- Clearly define your business idea and be able to succinctly articulate it. Know your mission and put it in writing.
- Examine your motives. Make sure that you have a passion for owning a business, and for this particular business.
- Be willing to commit to the hours, discipline, ongoing learning and the frustrations of owning your own business.
- Conduct a competitive analysis in your market, including products, prices, promotions, advertising, distribution, quality, service, and be aware of the outside influences that affect your business.
- Seek help from other small businesses, vendors, professionals, government agencies, employees, trade associations and trade shows. Be alert, ask questions, and visit your local Chamber of Commerce, Economic Development and SCORE office.